Mar 23, 2010

140 Reasons We Love Twitter

About 1 day ago Samuel Axon
 
Today is Twitter’s fourth birthday, and to celebrate the occasion we asked our Twitter followers: “Let us know how Twitter changed your life – add hashtag #thankstwitter4 so we can find your tweet.”
We got thousands of responses — in fact, #thankstwitter4 has become a trending topic. As promised, we did our best to sift through the tweets and find 140 that represent the Twitter () zeitgeist as we enter the social network’s fourth year. Below are our selections, split up into categories or sentiments that we noticed were particularly common.
Consider this Twitter’s birthday picture at age four. Is it cute or is it ugly? You decide!
- Finding Love
- Finding Fame
- Staying Up to Date With Current Events
- Stalking Justin Bieber
- Stalking Celebrities in General
- Making Friends Around the World
- Making Friends With Similar Interests
- Being Better Than Facebook or MySpace
- Decreasing Performance at School
- Tweeting on the Go
- Miscellaneous


Finding Love


@lipssealed: “#thankstwitter4 the opportunity to get to know My Girlfriend @missmya”
@toddbrunner: “Met @SoniaDiamond, the love of my life, on Twitter 7 months ago. Happy birthday Twitter! Hope you’re as happy as we are. #thankstwitter4″
@fallwall: “#thankstwitter4 being a good listener and perfect boyfriend substitute now and again…”
@KevinBarclay: “Thanks Twitter, I found my girlfriend via yourself! #thankstwitter4″
@MrBuxton: “#thankstwitter4 my beautiful girlfriend @Miss_Kitkat whom I met through twitter & consider my other half now & always x”
@msfang: “#ThanksTwitter4 having sum super sexy men on my timeline causing me to get distracted…”
@DestinyBPR: “#thankstwitter4 helping me find my true love”
@Thick_Maddam: “#thankstwitter4 being eharmony and allowing me and my boyfriend @freakzilla718 to meet lol”
@freakzilla718: “RT @Thick_Maddam: #thankstwitter4 being eharmony and allowing me and my boyfriend @freakzilla718 to meet lol <==== awwwwww"
@1dondotta: "#thankstwitter4 helpin me lose my #Virginity"


Finding Fame


@itzTEEbaby: “#thankstwitter4 showing me that regular people are funnier than actual comedians s m f h !”
@MindthatMatters: “#thankstwitter4 letting average people some how become internet famous”
@Terry_McFly: “#thankstwitter4 makin me semi famous lol”
@yungdeeze1v: “#thankstwitter4 Gettin Me A Lil More Famous”
@DutchMasterTrav: “#ThanksTwitter4 makin ppl feel like the famous!”
@BreetheLeader: “#thankstwitter4 giving people another reason to think they’re famous -.-”
@elleybonbon: “#thankstwitter4 allowing people think they famous cuz they got a few followers #sityourassdown”
@butterflyy18: “#thankstwitter4 making me feeli like a celebrity in my own little world…”
@NlGGATENDO: “#ThanksTwitter4 Pumping peoples heads up with the “Follow,” feature.. People really think they’re famous now.”
@ShawnYoJunior: “#thankstwitter4 Pumping peoples Egos up making them think they’re famous on the Internet smh”


Staying Up to Date With Current Events


@Mixxy_D: “#ThanksTwitter4 finding out current events before the news does.”
@megalimantara: “#thankstwitter4 being the ultimate source of info”
@eternalcanadian: “Twitter enabled me to witness the 2010 #olympics & #paralympics from tweeter povs & informed me of realtime changes. #thankstwitter4″
@@levaimolnet: “Twitter killed my RSS feeds… #thankstwitter4″
@hlporter: “#thankstwitter4 keeping me in the loop on everything from solar panels to Dolly Parton. Couldn’t do it without you!”
@chinabrown01: “#thankstwitter4 being my news source!”
@MrAnthonyK: “#thankstwitter4 preventing me from having to watch the news all day”
@ItsMeeHelen: “#thankstwitter4 letting me know what the world is talking about–the TT is how i learn the news in the morning. =D”
@cindygallop1: “#thankstwitter4 becoming my first morning stop for news ahead of the papers”
@cayas: “#thankstwitter4 concise headlines ensuring very quick overview of “news” + intro 2 great sources of knowledge + makes me feel connected”
@ChristinaNancy: “#thankstwitter4 giving me the scoop on current events. I barely have time to watch the news. Its all right here.”
@EllennBabyy: “#ThanksTwitter4 keeping me up to date on current issues, you know i don’t watch the news”
@stevec3412: “#thankstwitter4 changing the definition of “real-time” news”
@TerisaSmurf: “#ThanksTwitter4 updating me on news faster than CNN sometimes. makes me feel smarter than the #fb people! lol”
@BenWinslow: “@mashable #thankstwitter4 letting me, as a news reporter, break news faster than I can get on TV and faster than the wires.”
@MJ62: “#thankstwitter4 being my number 1 news source. trending topics lets me always know what big is going on. and for sports I’m always filled in”
@technolliegy: “#thankstwitter4 keeping me in the know for music, and big headline news.”
@blackwje: “#thankstwitter4 helping me see daily news as interactive.”
@MatthewRussell9: “#thankstwitter4 giving me the latest news. Without you, I would never know what the heck’s going on in this world!”
@MissBreezyBoo: “#ThanksTwitter4 always keeping me updated with all the latest NEWS (news)/GOSSIP”


Stalking Justin Bieber


@creatievzyn: “#thankstwitter4 giving all the Justin Bieber fans a place to hang out so that they don’t bother people irl.”
@Asiyo: “#thankstwitter4 for making me hate Justin Bieber.”
@jacksxjb: “#thankstwitter4 helping create an ongoing battle between justin bieber & jonas brothers fans.”
@jbiebslove: “#thankstwitter4 letting justin bieber have a way to contact his fans & for letting me get to meet these amazing beliebers around the world”
@JDBsWorld2: “#thankstwitter4 making it easy to creep on Justin Bieber. haha.”
@tanii_22: “#ThanksTwitter4 making me love justin bieber more and now i know all i need to know about him. :)
@ImaBeleeber: “#thankstwitter4 letting me feel that much closer to justin bieber <3"
@megannO_O: "#thankstwitter4 making me see how big headed justin bieber is :D "
@CamiDanae: "#thankstwitter4 having justin bieber trend every single day(:"
@eriktastic: "#thankstwitter4 ranking justin bieber above health care reform. way to go america."


Stalking Celebrities in General


@LysaSole: “#ThanksTwitter4 showing us the real personalities of some celebs. Some are such cornballs”
@brandamc: “#ThanksTwitter4 Letting me reply to celebs, dope rappers/MC’s, and music producers/DJ’s.”
@deehumes_hoang: “#ThanksTwitter4 giving me the chance to actually have contact with celebs i love, its amazing that they know i exist now;-)”
@dead_earthworm: “#ThanksTwitter4 helping people realise that celebs are just people too and not demi-gods!”
@iSally21: “#thankstwitter4 making it feel like the celebrities that I follow are my best friends. :)
@TiaJD3: “#ThanksTwitter4 making it clear that celebs are just as bored as we are!”
@hypnoticflow: “#thankstwitter4 opening my eyes to which celebrities are conceited, wack, or just plain boring”
@beeetthh: “#thankstwitter4 letting celebrities keep more in touch with their fans.”
@zuleyKOL: “#thankstwitter4 keeping me updated on Celebs like Lady Gaga < my FIRST follower :) "
@Laurensariah: "#thankstwitter4 making stalking celebrities seem perfectly acceptable."


Making Friends Around the World


@LadyJE: “#thankstwitter4 making it possible to share the joy of a flower blooming w someone on the otherside of the world who loves flowers too”
@rebeccawoodhead: “#thankstwitter4 letting me speak to people all over the world, build a readership for my books and win awards – even while housebound.”
@coffeelove: “Twitter gave me friends in other countries. #thankstwitter4″
@SaiSai3000: “#thankstwitter4 letting me share my thoughts with people from all over the place”
@trekladykim: “Want to #thankstwitter4 making it possible for me to be able to talk to intelligent, witty, and interesting people from all over the world.”
@kila0813: “#thankstwitter4 all myy new friends around the world”
@MRSJOYLOVE: “#thankstwitter4 allowing me to meet and socialize with people from all over the world, I love my Twitfam!!!”
@dangerjaneyXO: “#thankstwitter4 being awesome and connecting me to awesome people around the world. <3"
@RachelLazara: "#thankstwitter4 connecting me with amazing ppl all over the world <3"
@daanbrg: "#thankstwitter4 connecting me to the world like never before, meeting new people from all over the globe. Meeting new friends."


Making Friends With Similar Interests


@EdelweissNYC: “#thankstwitter4 Streaming my fashion fix everyday”
@BabsUvulaSybz: “#thankstwitter4 letting me meet many more Green Day obsessed lovely people :)
@vpspears92: “#thankstwitter4 let me know a lot of Britney Spears and Adam Lambert fans :)
@_Kaitie_: “Happy birthday @Twitter! #Thankstwitter4 connecting me with awesome #LOST-ies!”
@ColleenAnne29 “#thankstwitter4 putting me in touch with lots of other twin moms!”
@BeautyMarxs “#thankstwitter4 providing me with a group of people who like the same tv shows/movies I do and they don’t mind discussing them.”
@LadyJE “#thankstwitter4 making it possible 4 me to connect w people who love #shakespeare #theatre #film #poetry in ways not possible til @twitter”
@so_tweet: “#thankstwitter4 helping me reach people who have #trigeminal neuralgia and other types of pain.”
@ErinCerulean: #thankstwitter4 Twitter allows me to keep contact with a support network of librarians and people interested in new media.
@rudiboy86: “#thankstwitter4 allowing me to meet the best Rihanna fans around the world!”


Being Better Than Facebook or MySpace


@phresh614: “#thankstwitter4 giving me an escape from facebook and all its club promotions”
@xXshockhoundXx: “#thankstwitter4 bein simple and less cluttered than facebook and myspace. Happy birthday :)
@GDJRamaine: “#Thankstwitter4 making myspace be non existent..”
@OkiiMedia: “#thankstwitter4 making the amount of friends I had on Myspace (MySpace) become irrelevant.”
@andronika2989: “#thankstwitter4 Gettin me off of Facebook (Facebook) lol…, damn Farmville”
@CeeDana: “#thankstwitter4 causing the death of myspace… now, what will be the cause of your death???”
@ChamiiMamii: “#Thankstwitter4 entertaining me more than facebook”
@yasminmarie_x: “#thankstwitter4 not having as many users as facebook.”
@MissMarbina: “#Thankstwitter4 making me bored of facebook, I officially hate it now.”
@stuckxfixated: “#thankstwitter4 being my favorite social networking site.”


Decreasing Performance at School


@ToshaPaton: “#thankstwitter4 lowering my grade in every class…when i close my eyes i see that damn bird :(
@Ashl3yFaith: “#thankstwitter4 giving me a reason not to do my homework and bring down my grades”
@hannahbrazier: “#thankstwitter4 stopping me doing any kind of homework”
@m4rgaux: “#thankstwitter4 preventing me from doing my Homework :)
@emmabreckon: “#thankstwitter4 distracting me from my homework every night :P
@MechanicalSTEEZ: “#ThanksTwitter4 distracting me when I have homework, etc. to do. Haha. THANKS!”
@Steph843: “#thankstwitter4 making me get 0’s on almost all my homework assignments”
@RihannaSources: “#thankstwitter4 getting me in trouble in school because i was tweeting in math class. :( lol”
@MilantisCyrus: “#thankstwitter4 making me fail grades at school.. [:”
@ANTHONYBIGBANG: “#thankstwitter4 being not blocked at my school so i can tweet during my whole class time”


Tweeting on the Go


@con_SKEE_ted: “#thankstwitter4 almost causing me to get in several accidents. I can’t tweet and drive”
@JENNandJUUIICE: “#thankstwitter4 causing me to drop my phone countless times during work #justbecause I got a notification.”
@timdeuce: “#thankstwitter4 making me get internet on my phone”
@jazzychik09: “#thankstwitter4 running my battery down every single day…=)”
@LouisTrapani: “With Twitter & my iPhone I have access to 1000s of folks in my pant’s pocket. That’s more then I ever had in my pants before #thankstwitter4″
@mannny: “#thankstwitter4 letting me tweet during awkward situations.”
@Oprettyboy1: “#thankstwitter4 raising my phone bill. Before u internet was not part of my plan.”
@de_moodyyy: “#thankstwitter4 giving me a reason to pull out my phone is awkward situations”
@adyrhymes: “#ThanksTwitter4 being with me 24/7, on my iTouch, my Phone, my laptop.”
@STSarbear: “#thankstwitter4 making me check my phone every thirty minutes.”


Miscellaneous


@VanessaNewswire: @mashable “#thankstwitter4 being a part of what defines my generation and staying connected w my favorite influencers and news outlets”
@KillxYourxEgo: “#thankstwitter4 allowing me to remember everything from parties by letting me drunk tweet!”
@TiaJD3: “#ThanksTwitter4 helping me accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference LoL!”
@timmysparks: “#thankstwitter4 helping me connect with authors of the books I love.”
@Lea_xxo “#thankstwitter4 helping me getting better in english!”
@ReallyItsSky: “#Thankstwitter4 for showing me im not the only weird person in this world”
@louisbourque: “#thankstwitter4 keeping me awake during computer science lectures.”
@CoVERGiRLBADDD: “#thankstwitter4 letting me vent on #twitterafterdark when im sexually frustrated”
@Mattheuss: “#thankstwitter4 letting me say what I want, because in my school, I can’t.”
@_LoveCK: “#thankstwitter4 making me laugh and feel loved, even at the most randomest times :)
@just2craze: “#thankstwitter4 always being over capacity. That little whale is getting on my nerves.”
@PrettiBrownskin: “#thankstwitter4 getting me through work on a daily basis.. especially on them 9-5 days”
@WabaCityTV: “#ThanksTwitter4 givin Artist/Musicians/Models/GfxDesigners another way to promote products an annoy ppl lol =)”
@ladacherry: “#thankstwitter4 a listener at any time of day ^^”
@guifrance: “#thankstwitter4 Ruining my life by making me think in 140 characters.”
@MaryJaneMo: “#thankstwitter4 allowing me to know its a small world after all”
@MissAdine: “#Thankstwitter4 keeping me entertained on the bus”
@moyodre1: “#thankstwitter4 for making me see how nasty people can get…no matter the TT”
@_MissAlves_: “#thankstwitter4 not having my parents n family up here like fb”
@SeanMcQueen09: “#thankstwitter4 getting me fired! It was worth it though”